Affiliate marketing for dummies
Affiliate marketing schemes allow even complete beginners to get started quickly, and potentially, make a lot of money online in a short space of time, with no initial outlay other than some time and effort – if you know how.
If you are looking for affiliate marketing tips for beginners, you’ve come to the right place. In this post, we’ll provide all of the essential information you need to get started with affiliate marketing for newbies, including essential information on the basics of how affiliate schemes work, how to choose a good scheme, and how to join up and start earning.
Read on to learn how to be an affiliate marketer for beginners, and find out everything you need to know!
Affiliate marketing guide
First of all, it is a good idea to make sure that you have a basic understanding of how affiliate marketing works, and how a relationship between you and an affiliate partner scheme can earn you money.
Affiliate marketing is when an external partner – like you – initiates a working relationship with an affiliate scheme that offers a range of different products, services or brands for you to promote. As an affiliate marketer, you select a brand, product or service (or more than one) from the offerings available within the scheme, and then promote it externally.
The goal for you as an affiliate is to bring traffic to your partners, and/or make sales or achieve a specified action on the part of your prospects, such as signing up to a mailing list or accepting a free trial.
For each click, sale or action you achieve for your affiliate partner, you will receive a set commission, and if you can make multiple sales or achieve multiple actions as determined by your scheme, this money can soon add up into significant sums of cash.
However, to be able to achieve the set action or win the click needed to earn commission, you have to be prepared to put some work into finding receptive audiences for what you offer, reaching out to them, and convincing them to click a link or make a purchase.
How to make money with affiliate marketing for beginners
Affiliate marketing beginners need to start with a strong product or service that people want to buy, or that you can convince people to buy or find out more about. This means that you should choose carefully from between different schemes and affiliate products to find one that you are confident in being able to promote, and that you think you can convert into actions like clicks or sales.
When you join an affiliate scheme, you will gain access to a library of resources including different affiliate partners and services, which will each provide you with a range of direct links to use to promote them.
Your goal is then to use those links to reach out to a receptive audience and try to convert views into sales or actions. This means researching what type of people will be interested in what you offer and finding out what sort of websites, forums and other platforms they use to hang out online, and using postings, adverts and interactions on these platforms to reach out to your target demographic.
Getting your links seen by your targets is only the beginning – your links and promotions need to be enticing and engaging, to make your prospects want to find out more and take the predetermined action required to earn you a commission.
Using clickbait, promotions and incentives, and strong calls to action in the appropriate places are all key – as is avoiding using the wrong approach for the type of people you are targeting and where they hang out. Taking a hard sell approach, spamming and being pushy is generally highly ineffective when targeting users of social media platforms – and so you have to be smart about choosing the right approach, putting in the ground work, and knowing when to provide a small push to close the deal.
Getting your approach right can take time and trial and error, so be persistent and try to view affiliate marketing like a job during your first weeks and months, working consistently to build the foundations for your future success.
You will find additional affiliate marketing tips beginners can use to gain insights and ideas from via the affiliate scheme you sign up with too, because helping you to succeed means that the scheme itself succeeds as well!
Step by step affiliate marketing for beginners
You can get started with affiliate marketing for beginners free, without spending any money to join a scheme – but you might want to set up a website or blog to use to promote your affiliate links and to bring in organic traffic with SEO.
Here are the basic things you need to do to get started, in the form of a step by step affiliate marketing beginner’s guide:
• Identify a certain type of niche product or service you want to work with, and find affiliate schemes that showcase it. You might also want to browse different schemes for some ideas on the types of affiliate products that are most popular, and use this as inspiration to find ideas and niches to work with.
• Sign up with an affiliate scheme, and use your partner dashboard to choose individual products, services or brands to work with, and look at the links and promotions that they offer.
• Pick some links and promotions to concentrate on to get you started – it is a good idea to choose a few different ones to allow you to try different approaches, find out what is most popular, and give yourself the best chance of success, but don’t try to take on too much at once when you first get started!
• Identify the target audience or demographic that will be interested in what you are offering, and find out more about how they use the internet and the type of websites and platforms they use online.
• Use this information to set up your affiliate marketing campaign, to get your links seen by your target audience. Fine-tune your promotions, text content and adverts to appeal specifically to your target audience and the platforms they are using, which may mean trying out a variety of different approaches.
• Continually refresh and boost your content, make the most of incentives and promotions, and monitor how things are going as you go along, adapting your approach and adverts along the way as required to maximize your income.
Affiliate programs for beginners
If you are ready to get started with affiliate marketing for beginners, free affiliate schemes will usually be very keen to sign you up, meaning that there is a lot of choice out there for the first timer or newbie.
However, choosing the right scheme can make all of the difference between success and failure for the new affiliate, and so it is important to make the right choice. The right scheme for you should tick all of the following boxes:
• Offer products or services that you are happy working with, and confident in promoting.
• Serve a niche that is not already saturated with more affiliates and offers than potential buyers.
• Provide a range of promotions and incentives that you can use to catalyse sales and conversions.
• Offer a payment structure that you understand and are happy with, including taking into account factors such as minimum thresholds, payment processing times and payment methods.
• Pay affiliates a fair rate of commission that will reflect the time and work you put into promoting your content, and that will give you the chance to make a potentially high income over time.
If you sign up with an affiliate scheme and find that it is not working out for you, you can always try another product or even another scheme; but it is important to make a commitment to trying to promote your chosen niche for a set amount of time before you reconsider, to ensure that you don’t drop out just as things were about to get interesting.
Making money as a new affiliate takes some trial and error, and while you may hit upon the winning formula early on and be banking significant sums of money within your first month, it is also a learning process, which may take some time to turn into profit.
Keep an eye on your analytics and user trends, and be prepared to adapt on the go to turn poorly performing links and promotions into more profitable solutions.