Generating traffic is the key to ensuring that your website and so, your business is successful, and this holds true whether you are selling a product or service directly or using your website to earn commissions from affiliate partners.
The term “traffic” refers to the impressions that your website receives – the people that find your website and then visit it – and naturally, without these visitors, your website is essentially worthless, because nobody will see it.
However, traffic rarely simply finds its way to a website on its own through sheer luck, and in order to not only win visitors, but the right kind of visitors-those that want what you are showcasing or selling, and that might use your website to get it-you have to put the work in.
Winning traffic relies on a range of different factors, including ensuring that your website can be found and indexed by search engines, that it performs well in search results, and promoting your website externally to audiences that will be tempted to visit it.
However, simply getting people to land on your homepage is not enough. To avoid bounce (visitors that land on your website but very quickly navigate away without interacting because your website does not meet their expectations) your website must also be strong enough to convert the prospects that do find it.
If you run an affiliate marketing website and need to increase your traffic, or are setting up an affiliate website and want to make sure that it performs well and makes money for you, this article is designed to tell you how to do just that.
Affiliate marketing traffic building strategies
The definition of affiliate marketing is “using your own website as a marketing tool to generate traffic or sales for an online retailer, who in turn pays commissions for each agreed action or sale that you achieve.”
To successfully earn these commissions, you need to receive a significant stream of good quality traffic to your website in the first place, which means getting the right affiliate marketing traffic building strategies in place.
The most successful traffic generating websites take an umbrella approach to affiliate traffic generation, incorporating a range of different elements to maximize potential visitors, test out new markets, and continually analyze and adapt to find out what works and what is failing.
The core factors of success when it comes to website traffic generation for affiliates include:
• Ensuring that your website is properly coded so that it is not penalized by search engines.
• Getting the website itself submitted to search engines and properly listed so that it can be found by your prospects.
• Incorporating the appropriate keywords, titles, meta tags and image alt tags into your content naturally and organically without spamming, as the overuse of keywords can actually lead to your website being penalized and not rewarded!
• Identifying external platforms to promote the website, targeting the appropriate demographics.
• Knowing when and where to place convincing calls to action within your website and on external platforms, in order to make it easy for the visitors produced from your traffic to click through to your affiliate partner without feeling that they are falling victim to a hard sell.
• Keeping your content fresh, interesting and appropriate to your audience and offering incentives such as new content, offers, and promotions regularly to keep your visitors checking back once they have found you.
• Inviting feedback and interacting with your visitors and potential visitors to find out what they want, in order to meet their needs.
• Checking out what the competition is doing and what is and is not working for them, and emulating the most successful models in terms of keywords, content type, and approach.
• Getting a good, comprehensive analytics programme in place to monitor your success and identify any weak area.
Every affiliate website will, of course, have their own angle and approach, and the most successful affiliates can identify weaknesses in their competitors and target the market that they are missing, as well as continually seeking to improve and source new streams of traffic-even when the website is performing really well.
The best way to learn affiliate marketing strategies
When it comes to determining the best traffic generation strategies for your own affiliate websites, there is a reasonable amount of trial and error involved, and you will certainly have to put the work in during the first weeks and months of your endeavor in order to win a steady stream of traffic.
However, the principles of the best traffic generating websites are almost universal, regardless of their niche or audience, and will usually involve a combination of the following actions:
• Establishing an actionable affiliate marketing and traffic generation strategy and having a clear plan in place to follow for identifying and sourcing good quality traffic.
• Determining the demographics of the type of people that are likely to make up your traffic, and finding out where to reach them.
• Planning an approach to reach your potential audience and get their attention, and following through on this with strong calls to action and direction on how to get what they want from your website.
• Searching out traffic generating sites and getting your brand and your links showcased with them.
• Taking the time to check out the support offered by your affiliate partners and affiliate platforms, because the people who pay your commissions will, of course, want you to succeed, and often offer a range of tools and services to help you to do this.
• Seeking advice, guidance and information from your affiliate partners if you find yourself struggling or unsure about how to proceed.
• Making use of analytic tools on both your website itself and the affiliate platform that you use, so that you can accurately measure your traffic and conversions and use this data to hone your approach.
• Getting to know your niche inside out, and so, gaining insights into your target audience and how they use the internet, what they are looking for, and what convinces them to visit and click through to your affiliate partners via your links or website.
Using all of these different approaches in combination is the best way to learn the affiliate marketing strategies that will work for you and just as importantly, help you to identify weak areas and approaches that simply aren’t working.
In order to become a really successful affiliate and make money through your website, you have to be prepared to put the work in, and this means being adaptive and analytical as well as spending time and effort populating your website and finding ways to source traffic for it.